Thursday 23 September 2010

Sixth sense.....

As soon as the young girl got into the rear passenger seat of the car, call it a sixth sense or an instinct but i knew something wasn`t right.
My mum once told me to always go by my instincts "they`re there for a reason" she`d say.
The girl was only about 14, plain looking & quiet.
"where to love?" i asked.
"Fishmoor Drive" she replied. So off we tootled.
Something was bugging me, i didn`t know what but it didn`t feel right.
Soon we arrived up the Fishmoor area of town. "where abouts love?" i asked again.
"Those houses there on the right" she said.
I was prepared for a 'jumper'.....someone who runs off without paying.
I stopped & said "that`s five pounds please love"
She nervously said "err, i`ll have to get some money off my mum"
I gave her a knowing look & said "I`m watching you" & undid my seatbelt ready for the chase. She got out & went to the door of the house. She knocked, waited & then went inside when somebody opened the door. I still thought something wasn`t right, so kept close watch for anything suspicious.
A few minutes passed & nothing happened. She didn`t re-appear with the taxi fare. So i got out & went over to the door & knocked....nothing. I knocked about 3 times but still heard nothing. The house was a gable end council house, so i went round the front & banged on that door.......nothing.

I KNEW SOMETHING WAS UP.....I EFFING KNEW IT!!!

The house itself was a shit-hole. You know the sort, matress thrown into the overgrown garden, smashed up fence, stereotypical broken rusty fridge & token selotaped up broken window. I went back to my car & reported the 'runner' to base.

Just as i was about to pull away, i spotted two hi-viz cladded beat coppers waaaay up the top of Fishmoor Drive. I drove up to them & told them what had just happened. They jumped in the car & i took them to the offending house. They tried to make themsleves heard, but got as much luck as i had. One of the coppers then asked me for my phone number & explained that he knew the 'family' in the house & would try & catch up with the girl in future. I gave him my number & left it at that.

Nearly a month later, i got a call form the policeman who said "I`ve got some money for you" & could i arrange a meeting with him & the young girl, so she could apologise & pay me. I agreed & we met up the next day.

I met the copper outside the girls sisters house & we went inside. She was sat there like a chavvy little scrote, rolling her eyes & looking totally 'not bovvered' ala Vicky Pollard style. The policeman gave her a rollicking & she handed over a letter of apology to me. The writing was atrocious & written in text speak "Sorry 4 not paying u & runnin away etc...." When asked why she did it, she shrugged her shoulders & said "don`t know". The copper read the letter & said he was impressed with her attempt. She smirked & said "me sister wrote it. I can`t write nor nuffin"

The girl handed over the fiver she owed & the copper & myself left. I thanked him for getting my money & putting the time in to help. He said it was ok & explained he knew the family, they were all rough as hell & the girl probably had no chance in life cos her family didn`t give a shit.

I thanked him again & we went on our separate ways.

I learned one thing from this story.....LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS!!! My mum was right! ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment