Thursday 18 February 2010

A pilots tale

An elderly guy in his late eighties was telling me about some of his exploits during WW2. He was a pilot in the RAF. Not a fancy fighter or bomber pilot, just a cargo pilot. He flew several types of aircraft but ended up flying mainly C47 Dakotas. He`d carry cargo, troops & even prisoners all over the theatre of war. One story he told me was quite surprising to say the least. He was in the far east, they had loaded some cargo & were transporting a company of Gurkhas to a new destination. Just before they took off, he got instructions to squeeze a handful of Japanese POWs onto his plane. The Gurkhas didn`t like this one bit. They hated the Japs, but they were all boarded & the flight took off. Upon arrival, they discovered the Japanese POWs were not on the plane. Apparently the Gurkhas had taken exception to them & thrown all them out mid-flight.

I expressed my amazement & doubts on hearing this tale. The elderly gent told me a lot of nasty things happened on both sides during the war & assured me it happened. He said a statement was taken from the crew & that was the last he heard about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment